Just a quick idea. I recently need to set up a display with a plaid theme. Nothing seemed to work and I didn't want to buy another vase so I found an old sweater of mine and cut off the arm. I slipped it over the vase.
It still didn't look right. So around the sleeve cuff I threaded red yarn for a rustic look then I hot glued two of the sweaters buttons on the front of the vase and finished the buttons off with two covered buttons I made out of plaid. Sorry for the poor quality of the photos. They are so dark but that's how it is why up here in the Northwest.
I think it turned out really cute. Now I am sweater hunting all the time.