Sunday, September 5, 2010

Cookie Fate


When I was in college I worked at The Clothes Tree, a little shop in the Valley River Mall in Eugene, Oregon. Each night I worked, I would walk down to The Cookie Cottage on my break and buy myself the most wonderful cookie ever invented- a chocolate cookie with marshmallow in the middle and topped with chocolate icing. Over the years I have tried to replicate this recipe. I even tired to look up the company but to no avail. Apparently it went out of business years ago.


It's fate: Several years ago a new friend of mine and I were talking about our days at the U of O and we got to talking about this chocolate marshmallow cookie. To my surprise she knew all about it. Come to find out she loved them too and her entire sorority would make pilgrimages to my cookie mecca.

And I thought I was the only one who knew about the special cookie. :(

Well, my friend tells me that her friend called the company before they went out of business but they wouldn't give out the recipe. So she came up with this one. I am passing it along to you.

This recipe is the closest thing to the real thing:


Chocolate Marshmallow Surprise

cookie base
2 cups white sugar
1 cup shortening
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla
3 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup cocoa

Mix this all together. Drop by spoonful and roll into a ball. Then slightly flatten with palm of your hand.
bake for 6 min. Remove from oven top with as many tiny marshmallows as you can fit on the top of the cookie in a single layer. Put back into the oven and bake one more minute.



Remove from cookie sheet and let cool. Then frost.

Frosting:
3 cups powdered sugar
3/4 cup cocoa
4 tablespoons butter
5-6 tablespoons milk add more if too thick.

The recipe didn't call for it but I added some vanilla to the frosting and I am not sure why other than it was there and it felt like a good idea.

Enjoy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails