Last night we had an impromptu get together with friends. I personally love these. A quick text, "Hey, baseball is cancelled. Yippee! Want to come over?"
We open a bottle or two or three of wine, throw some brie and bread on a plate, and make a quick dessert.
One of my favorite desserts for this type of situation is my recipe for Black Russian Cake. It looks impressive and tastes divine and doesn't take all day to make. In fact, I get it in the oven lickity split and then get myself and the house ready for our friends.
I thought I would share the recipe. This is the easiest and best cake every. If you need to wow the crowd. Make this.
18.5 oz. package of yellow cake mix WITHOUT pudding
6 oz. package if instant chocolate pudding
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup vegetable oil (3/4 cup is okay to make the cake less fattening but why would you want to do that?)
1/4 cup vodka
4 Tablespoons Kahlua
3/4 cup cold water
1. Heat oven to 350
2. Grease and flour a bundt pan
3. In a large mixer bowl combine the following:
4. Blend well
5. Add the below ingredients to the same mixing bowl
6. Beat for 4 min. on medium speed
7. Pour into prepared pan
8. Bake for 55-60 min. Test done-ness by sticking a toothpick into the cake. If it comes out dry, the cake is done. DO NOT OVER BAKE ~UNDER BAKE IF ANYTHING. It will be dry if you over bake.
9. Cool in pan for 10 min.
10. Meanwhile, in small bowl, combine the glaze ingredients below:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup kahlua
11. Mix until smooth. Add more powdered sugar if glaze is too runny
12. When cake is done, invert onto plate and poke holes in cake with a fork
13. Pour glaze over warm cake
15. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Add a fruit as a garnish strawberries or raspberries are great.
Love this cake. Love it!